The organ was installed in the church in May 1717 with the opening concert being given by Dr William Croft and the choir of the Chapel Royal. Current research attributes the organ to the work of Father Smith, dating from around 1704; the organ is believed to have originated from Windsor Castle.
Most of the original pipe work remains and the casework is original c.1704. In the 19th century Holdich restored the organ, adding new pipes and moving the console to the side of the organ. Since then, little has changed.
The organ was carefully restored by Holmes & Swift during 2013/2014. This was a thorough restoration and, due to the historic significance of the organ, no alterations were made.
Any organists interested in coming to play the organ should contact the Director of Music to arrange access. Visiting organists are always welcome.
Jonathan Harris has been organist at St Mary's, Finedon since January 2005.
The church houses the library of organ music owned by Dr Stanley Vann. For a list of items in the collection see the Music Lists page.
In January 2018, we installed a 4-stop, tracker action Peter Collins organ, one manual and pedals in the chancel for use in accompanying the choir for parts of evensong and our morning anthems.